Kinson Traders Association
Currently represented by Mike Edwards, Kinson is the subject of great local interest following news of Tesco's proposed supermarket. With the Chamber's help Mike has been able to set up regular meetings with the developers and local traders to discuss the future of the area.
© Copyright Chris Downer and licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Licence
Some comment from Stephen Bailey of the Daily Echo who attends our Local Government Affiars (LGA) meetings every month.
Daily Echo Stephen Bailey March 2011
ONE of the biggest open secrets in Bournemouth has been confirmed – the new Kinson supermarket will be a Tesco. The saga has been running for more than 10 years and a planning application is expected after a public exhibition. The plan is to demolish the parade of shops on Millhams Lane and replace them with a standard-sized store.
Martin Burke, managing director of Hampton Hill Richmond (HRH), said: “We are extremely pleased that we have been able to secure one of the nation’s leading retailers to operate our proposed new store as part of the regeneration of the area.”
The developer also plans to build five smaller retail units immediately outside and said four local businesses have expressed an interest. Councillors and residents have told the Echo they are pleased the run-down shopping parade will be removed and hope the store will breathe new life into the area.
Tesco has shown an interest in the site since the 1990s and the developer has bought out the shopkeeper’s store leases one by one. A spokesman for HRH said: “In addition to regenerating the area and boosting the local economy, the proposals will allow local customers to shop nearby, rather than making journeys to other shopping centres.”
The store’s 243 space car-park is understood to be planned for the field behind the shopping parade, and its floorspace will be 2,069 square metres. A public exhibition due for Saturday has been postponed so Tesco can develop its own display material.
Tesco’s regional corporate affairs manager, Juliette Bishop said: “Tesco is delighted to be involved with this exciting scheme to regenerate this area of Kinson and we look forward to becoming a part of the community.”
The award-winning Royal Oak Pub near the shops faces demolition and regulars are expected to oppose the application with support from East Dorset Campaign for Real Ale.
Update Echo July 3rd 2012
TESCO has submitted another planning application for its delayed development in Kinson. The store and its developer want to demolish the shopping parade by Millhams Road and build over the site. This is the second application after one earlier this year collapsed.
Developer Hampton Hill Richmond (HHR) won planning permission, contingent on signing a deal to pay Bournemouth council £200,000, to deal with the increase in traffic and road damage. However, HHR and Tesco could not come to terms on making the payment to the council. The time limit for the deal expired and the permission was then refused in April. The new planning application has been submitted jointly by Tesco and Hampton Hill Richmond. The development cannot go ahead until all the existing shop units are empty.